Saturday, April 10, 2010

I have always had a thing for round eyed aliens. That's what I inevitably get around to doodling when I'm too bored to even think up things to draw. There's something charming about vicious creatures who have a soft side to them. Or perhaps the soft side is just something it wants you to think it has. Take this for example:

I had a character called Koopu, and now I realise I've been unconsciously plagiarising! The one up there is Alien Hominid. He started out as a flash sidescrolling web game hero and quickly rose in popularity to make his way onto consoles. I was a fan of the original, and now that I've got my hands on the ps2 version, I suddenly remembered Koopu. Koopu was then, not wholly a figment of my imagination. See for yourselves.
Its scary how much of what you think to be original might actually be 'borrowed', without you even knowing it. But I guess thats how art works. No piece of writing, art, whatever, can be really completely original. Its all, in many ways, a rethinking of its inspirational original, which was in turn subconsciously, or very consciously, reworked from it's predecessors and so on.

Thats not to say I consider Koopu a work of art, per se! But one things for certain, after Koopu finished venting his often unjustifiable cute bloodthirsty alien rage on humans, they turned into quite...expressive...works of art themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment